Between Darkness and Light, part 11

By Isis Osiris

 

"Willow. Xander." Angel steps out of the shadows behind us and Xander and I turn to look. There's something different about him, but in this darkness, I can't tell what.

"Angel." Xander acknowledges his presence.

"Thank God you're okay. Did you see Buffy?" Angel will help us. With Xander's plan and Angel's help, we'll defeat the Judge and everything will be fine.

"Yeah. What's up with the lights?" Why is he still standing over there?

"I don't know," Xander answers. "Listen, I think I have an idea."

"Forget about that now, I… I got something to show you."

Forget about the Judge? But… "Show us?" He must have a reason for not being concerned. Maybe he already beat the Judge. But that doesn't make sense, with the 'no weapon forged' stuff.

"Yeah. Xander, go get the others."

"Okay." Xander turns and continues towards the Library.

"And Willow, come here." Why do I need to go over there? Why can't he come over here? This doesn't make sense?

"What is it, Angel?"

"It's amazing." He's being cryptic again. With me. He's never cryptic around me. He saves that for Buffy and impending doom situations. Oh no, maybe there's something wrong and doom and *gulp*. No way to know unless I find out. I start to walk slowly towards him.

"Willow, get away form him." Jenny calls out from across the lounge.

"What?" I turn to face her. She's holding up a cross at Angel? Why would she do that?

"Walk to me." This really isn't making much sense. Why does she want me away form Angel? He's not going to hurt me.

"What are you talking about? It's Ang-" My speech is cut off by a cool hand wrapping tightly around my throat.

Xander bursts through the door. "Don't do that!"

His grip tightens on my neck. "Oh, I think I do that."

"Angel…." Ow, it hurts.

"He's not Angel anymore. Are you?" Not Angel? What? If he's not Angel, then who is he?

"Wrong. I *am* Angel." Once again, his hand closes tighter. I can barely breathe now. "At last." What does he mean by that? If he wasn't Angel before, then who was he?

"Oh my God." Xander? What's going on?

"I got a message for Buffy."

"Why don't you give it to me yourself?" Buffy! She'll know what's going on and how to fix it. Angel spins me around so that we face her.

"Well, it's not really the kind of message you tell. It sort of involves finding the bodies of all your friends." Bodies… friends… No! Angel wouldn't…. I'm going to die. Angel's going to kill me. He squeezes once more, and I cannot stop the cry of pain.

* * * *

Hands close over my shoulders and shake me. "No! Let go! Angel, please don't." I try to pull away, put I'm not strong enough.

"Shh, pet. I'm not Angelus. Wake up." Not Angelus? But who… it was a dream. Only a dream.

"Spike?" I struggle to open my eyes to look at him, but I'm so tired and hungry.

"I've got you. It's all right. I'm so sorry pet. I'm a bad, rude man."

"He… he was going to kill me, Spike. Make it go away. Make it all go away." I do not struggle as he pulls me into his arms.

"I will. I promise, Red. It was just a dream. Angelus is gone. He can't hurt you anymore. Are you hungry?"

"Starving."

"Here." He offers me his own throat. "I know you don't want your meals brought to you, but I think you'll agree that you're too weak to hunt right now. Eat now, and when you've got your strength back, I promise you I'll take you hunting all night long if you like." I pierce the pale skin along the carotid artery and slowly drink the blood that flows into my mouth.

"Thank you, Spike. I'm sorry… for what I said. I didn't mean it."

"It's forgotten, pet. I heard you call out, and I was so afraid that… I thought I was losing you. Don't leave me, Willow." He holds me close to him, and I begin to relax back into sleep.

"You're wrong, though." I murmur against his chest.

"How's that?"

"About Angel. He'll be back. And it's going to change everything." I finish before a peaceful sleep claims me.

Previous Part
Next Part
Fic Index
Love Eternal, Love Divine