Red as Blood, By Isis

Part 2

    One day, Willow realized that she was falling in love with the young boy from across the wall, who was now a handsome young man with eyes of steel and the same blazing white hair that set him apart so many years ago.  She was certain that he returned her feelings, and this broke her heart, for she was a princess, and he only a village lad in her Father's kingdom.  But her feelings could not be ignored, so she went to her parents to plead her case.

    "Father, Mother, you know I love you both very much, and I would do anything to please you, right?"

    "Of course, Willow."  Ira answered.  "You always have."

    "Well, I must tell you something.  And I'm afraid you won't like it."

    "Go on, dear."

    "I've fallen in love."

    "But that's wonderful, princess.  Why do you think we wouldn't like it?"

    "Because I'm in love with the boy from the village.  The one with the white hair."

    "Oh dear.  Well now, that does present a problem.  But I'm sure we can solve it."

    Sheila watched the exchange with barely veiled contempt.  "Ira, dear, don't you remember?  Willow is already betrothed."

    "Oh yes, quite right.  To that minstrel…  what was his name again?"

    "Oz, dear."

    "Yes, Oz.  Well, then.  That settles it.  You're already betrothed, so there is no problem."

    "But I don't love Oz!"  Willow cried.  "I love Spike."

    "Now Willow, listen to your father.  An agreement has already been reached.  We cannot change it now.  Besides, what kind of name is Spike, anyhow?  Certainly not that of a good husband."

    "But - "

    "Not another word.  Go to your rooms until we come to discuss the details with you.  I think that in light of these circumstances, we will move up the wedding.  How does next week sound, Ira?"

    "Fine, fine.  I'm sure you'll learn to love this Oz fellow.  I'm so happy for you, Willow.  My daughter, a bride."  King Ira wandered off down the corridor, leaving Willow and Queen Sheila alone in the Great Hall.

    "You will marry Oz, Willow.  And then you'll be out of my hands forever."

    "I'd sooner die!"  Willow ran through the halls and passages to her room.

    "That can be arranged, if necessary," the Queen spoke softly after the retreating figure.

    Willow shut the door to her room and fell to her knees, sobbing against her bed.  "I can't marry him.  I wish I could, but I can't.  I don't love him, and he doesn't love me.  How could my parents do this to me?  Queen Sheila doesn't care who I marry, so long as I go away.  And my father is only doing this because he thinks it is best for me.  What am I going to do?"  She wept until she fell into a restless sleep, images of an eternity without her friend flitting through her mind.

    The next morning she awoke knowing what she must do.  She went about her day silently, all the while working out the details of her plan.  She had to do this right, for it was likely to be her only chance.  When she spoke to her parents, she was polite and played the part of an obedient daughter perfectly.  She acted as if the previous day's outburst had been a terrible mistake and she now saw the error of her ways.  That evening, she returned to her room alone and began her preparations.  It was the first day in many years that she did not go out to visit Spike.

    It was just after midnight that Willow's door slowly opened and she crept from her quarters into the hallway.  She walked calmly along her chosen route, hoping that her rapid heartbeat couldn't be heard by anyone still awake in his or her room.  This path was longer than it would have been if she had merely headed for the front gates, but she was less likely to encounter any guards this way.  She made her way to her mother's garden and climbed her apple tree.  She slipped over the wall and landed silently outside the castle boundaries.  Kneeling at the base of the tree where she first met Spike, she placed a letter and her faerie carving among the roots.  Then, keeping to the shadows, she left her Father's country, never once looking back.

    Willow walked for many days through the woods to the North of her Father's castle.  Each night, she would find shelter beneath a tree or inside a cave, and when she awoke in the morning, she found a small collection of edible nuts, berries, and wild fruit.  These offering she accepted gladly and carried with her on her day's journey.  After nearly a week of such travel, she arrived in a new land.  It was nearly sundown, so she began to search for shelter.  Soon she found a path that turned into a trail, and then into a road.  Hoping that she might find lodging and a meal at the end, Willow followed the road to the steps of a small house.  She knocked on the door, but there was no reply.

    "Hello?"  She called out.  "Is there any one here?"  Still there was no answer.  Turning the doorknob, she found that the door opened easily.  "I guess it's abandoned," she said to herself, taking in the pile of dirty dishes in the sink and the clothes strewn around the front room.  "It looks like whoever lived here left in a hurry.  Well, then, I suppose they won't mind if I stay the night.  But if I'm going to do that, I really must clean things up a bit.  Having decided thus, she began gathering the clothes together to wash after she had done the dishes.

    Willow worked for several hours tidying the cottage.  Just before midnight, she stopped.  She had a stew cooking on the stove made from the food she could find in the cupboards and the garden out back and decided to rest for a minute while it cooked.  She sat in one of the seven chairs placed around the room and surveyed her work.  Truth be told, she was rather proud of herself.  The clothes were washed and drying, the dishes were clean, and the floors and tables shone as if they were newly finished.  Not a speck of dust could be found anywhere.  Exhausted from her travels and the time she spent cleaning, she soon fell into a deep sleep.
 

Next Part
Previous Part
Back to Isis' Fiction
Back to Love Eternal, Love Divine